Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I missed my culture



   
  Today is a very special day for my country and all the people live here. It’s because of the New Year day. According to my culture beginning of the New Year starts from today, 14th of April not in 1st of January .But now we celebrate both days as the beginning of a new year. 

  I know its bit stupid! There cannot be 2 beginnings for one year. But I see it as a situation where the global village concept and the tradition of one’s nature mixed together and move forward in harmony.

  Global village concepts try minimizing the world to one village. One village has only one tradition one nation one language and one set of customs. But in practically this concept completely can’t make work ,since the world is consist of many cultures and traditions with much different type of nations.

   But if you ignore this concept you’ll be a very separate person from the rest of the world. Since everything in a society go with a wave, you have to move forward with it while ,you are continuing you own identity. If you go against the wave your chance of survival may get less.

Though there are no such specifications, the world specially the powerful countries who try to control the world seem, want to exist their cultures and traditions in this global village. But the very great cultures in the rest of the world have completely different customs and traditions which may bit stupid sometime. But that’s the culture and the tradition made their generations and generations great. 

  The youth in these countries who are not belonging to the western culture consider their heritage, specially their customs and traditions, so annoying and stupid. They think that their parents’ beliefs have no value and no use. They only follow these customs only to get rid from their parents.


I also one belong to that kind of youth. I always try to make fun of my own culture and customs though I didn’t show it on my behavior. Especially on these New Year days it’s kind of the biggest festival to my nation. In 14th of April my whole country cooks in very one moment and eat altogether in their own houses but at the same time. Can you believe that the whole country eat together once a year?

 On that day Professional astrologers predict special auspicious time to cook, eat and to start work .So we had to wait until that special time comes. We are not allowed to eat though we starve to death. Ah! It’s not that strict, you may get something to eat if you are really really staving.;)


 It’s the time all the family get together, all the relatives and neighbors and all! It’s so exciting time for us as children, you get many cousins to play with and you are at your grandparent’s house. So it’s so much fun. But those customs make that time bit awkward. How can you play with a starving stomach?


 Sometimes it may not be the custom may be the sweets on the table make you more and hungrier. But no matter what,the custom says,you have to wait till that special time.

  It’s only one custom which made me hate my culture and made me think how better the western culture is. It seems so simple you don’t have to devote many things for those. They are simple and easy.

  For the last past 20 years that’s how I thought about my culture and traditions. But in this New Year I realize how much mind love them though I thought I hate them.

 Usually in the New Year everybody go home .and follow all the traditions. No matter what you should come home for the New Year that’s what my parents told. And I could celebrate the it for the last 20 years with them. But in this year I couldn’t visit my people since I was abroad and along in the house. I feel so upset today. So   lonely. Because this is not the New Year I used to celebrate.

  My New Year celebrations were full of fun and joy and lot if sound along. But today nothing accept loneliness. But that loneliness made me think how much I love my culture and customs. It was so annoying to me when my parents ask me to come home for the New Year. Because I thought our traditions was stupid and hanging around relatives was boring. 


  I thought what difference it makes though we celebrate the begging of the New Year.”Whether I eat on time or not tomorrow definitely‘ll come “That was past me. But today I had time to think about it a lot. I was surprised why I feel so sad? Why I feel like I missed my customs? 


 Finally It made me realize that your customs and traditions and your culture is in your blood in you DNA. They are the things you ancestors have followed for thousands for years. When you do something over and over it becomes a practice and when you do your practice more often it become part of you and your life.


  In this case too those were the things my parents get practice from those parents .My grandparents get this practice from their parents. It’s a chain for thousand and thousand of years. So you can’t remove them though you don’t like it. You can’t stop liking it and ignore it because one part of you missed them so much!

 So I like to address the parents who are having children like me, who made you afraid that you’ll be the last of your family with your own tradition and customs .Don’t worry they’ll feel the same one day as I feel now. Just teach them your own things correctly. 

  Don’t expect an honor and a respect for you customs and traditions. Let them make fun with it. Because sooner they too ’ll understand how important their culture to them. Don’t be afraid or sad of this global village thing or your child doesn’t love his culture. Because it’s not practical at all. 


  There should be a different in the world and that’s why the there are different types of flowers, birds and animals. Same as it people also should be different in cultures, traditions and customs. So realize it. Stick with it and live in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form






Google Analytics Alternative